About Mustang Division
The Mustang Division is a competitive league for players aged 8-10 years old. (player's age as of April 30)
Regulation games are 6 innings, players will pitch, and there will be umpires to call balls, strikes, and outs. Scores and standings are kept for all season games, there will be a regular season champion, and there will be post-season playoffs to crown a division champion.
Players in Mustang may also be selected to represent their team in an All-Star Game.
Mustang games are played Monday, Wednesday, and Sunday evenings at 6:15 p.m.
In an effort to have the most parity of teams across the division, players are drafted by coaches after a skills evaluation day that all players are required to attend. Pre-season practices begin in early May. The season begins the first week of June, and runs through the last week of July, with playoffs into the first week of August.
For questions or more information, contact Mustang Commissioner Steve Wendzinski at email@example.com.
Dearborn Baseball Mustang Division Rules
Revised May 2, 2017
The Playing Rules are "Official Baseball Rules" except as noted below.
1. The primary object of Dearborn Baseball is to teach good sportsmanship as well as the game of baseball. Manager control of players and player parents at all times is essential. The umpire has the authority to call a forfeit because of unruly players, managers, coaches or fans.
2. Each member present at a league game must play at least three (3) innings, nine (9) outs in the field. Each player must play at least one (1) inning in the infield each game. There will be four (4) outfielders for a total of ten (10) players in the field.
3. All players present at game time bat. A player who shows up after game time and before the end of the third inning will be placed at the end of the batting order. A player who shows up after the third inning of play will be used or not used at the discretion of the manager.
4. At game time, visiting teams will have the field for ten (10) minutes. Home teams will have the field the next ten (10) minutes. Forfeiture time is fifteen (15) minutes after game time. A game may start and/or end with eight (8) players.
5. After each game, the coach of the winning team must report the final score and the number of innings pitched by each pitcher (both teams) on TeamSnap within 24 hours.
6. The home team is responsible for field set up of bases and pitching rubbers and keeping the official score. The distance between bases is sixty (60) feet. Pitching distance from the back of home plate to the front of the pitching rubber is 44 feet. Both teams must provide a new game ball to the umpire prior to each game.
7. A regulation game consists of six (6) innings unless extended by a tie score. There is a two hour time limit and games can end in a tie. A game called by the umpire because of rain, darkness, etc. is a regulation game if four (4) complete innings have been played or three and one-half (3 1/2) innings if the home team is ahead. If fewer than four (4) complete innings have been played, the game will be rescheduled and started from the beginning.
8. All players are to provide their own helmet. Helmets must be worn while batting, on deck, and on base. All boys are required to wear a protective cup.
9. If a personal bat and/or helmet is broken by any player, the league will not be responsible for replacement of the item.
10. Players must wear assigned uniforms in order to play. The uniform shall consist of hats, shirts and pants issued by Dearborn Baseball. The Manager will decide if the uniform meets standards. Uniforms may not be altered in any way.
11. The mercy rule shall be enforced after three and one-half (3 -1/2) innings if the home team is ahead or after four (4) innings if the visiting team is ahead by fifteen (15) runs or more.
12. Free substitution is allowed with the following exception: The pitcher cannot be removed and returned as a pitcher. Deviation from this shall result in a forfeit.
13. Catchers must wear all gear provided by Dearborn Baseball (catcher's helmet, chest protector, and shin guards). The catcher's mitt, although provided, is not required. However, if the player is able to use it, have them do so. There are two exceptions: 1. The catcher is left-handed (we don't provide left-handed catcher’s mitts). 2. Your player is not strong enough to squeeze the catcher’s mitt when catching the ball. The catcher's mask must always include a throat guard.
14. There is modified stealing. There are no lead offs, and the runner cannot leave their base until the ball crosses the plate. Runners are only allowed to steal 2nd and 3rd base. Runners cannot steal home, even if there is a passed ball or wild pitch. However a runner may advance home on a steal attempt of 3rd base if the catcher throws the ball into the outfield, or throws it out of play.
15. If there are two outs and the catcher for the team at bat is on base, a pinch runner is recommended. This is for the purpose of saving time. The pinch runner will be the player who made the last out.
16. Bunting is allowed.
17. If a player pitches three (3) innings or fewer, no days of rest are required prior to them pitching again. If a player pitches four (4) innings or more, 40 hours of rest are required, calculated from the start of the game. No player can pitch more than four (4) innings in a game. A player may pitch a maximum of six (6) innings in a calendar week (Monday through Sunday). Delivery of a single pitch constitutes an inning.
18. The Infield Fly Rule does not apply.
19. Only 2-1/2" bats or smaller are allowed in the Mustang Division. Approved bats will be marked “Little League Approved” somewhere on the barrell. Big barrel bats i.e. 2-5/8" or 2-3/4" are not allowed.
20. Bats with excessive dings or any modifications, whatsoever, are not allowed.
21. Protected players require parental agreement, and all protected players are subject to league approval.