About Mustang Division
The Mustang Division is a competitive league for players aged 8-10 years old. (player's age as of August 31 - end of current season)
Regulation games are 6 innings, players will pitch, and there will be umpires to call balls, strikes, and outs. Scores and standings are kept for all season games, there will be a regular season champion, and there will be post-season playoffs to crown a division champion.
Players in Mustang may also be selected to represent their team in an All-Star Game.
Mustang games are played Monday, Wednesday, and Sunday evenings at 6:15 p.m.
In an effort to have the most parity of teams across the division, players are drafted by coaches after a skills evaluation day that all players are required to attend. Pre-season practices begin in early May. The season begins the first week of June, and runs through the last week of July, with playoffs into the first week of August.
For questions or more information, contact Mustang Commissioners Steve Wendzinski at email@example.com or Rob Gordon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dearborn Baseball Mustang Division Rules
Revised April 17, 2019
The official rules of Major League Baseball are followed, except as noted below.
1. The primary objective of Dearborn Baseball are to teach good sportsmanship and the game of baseball.
2. Manager control of players and player parents at all times is essential. The umpire has the authority to eject any unruly players, managers, coaches, or fans, and/or to call a forfeit because of unruly behavior. Any player or coach ejected from a game is also ineligible for the following game.
3. The home team is responsible for field set up of bases and pitching rubbers and keeping the official score. The distance between bases is sixty (60) feet. Pitching distance from the back of home plate to the front of the pitching rubber is 44 feet. Both teams must provide a new game ball to the umpire prior to each game.
4. Prior to game time, visiting teams will have the field for ten (10) minutes, an then home teams will have the field the next ten (10) minutes to warm up. Forfeiture time is fifteen (15) minutes after game time and is the decision of the umpire. A game may start and/or end with eight (8) players.
5. A regulation game consists of six (6) innings unless extended by a tie score. There is a two hour time limit and regular season games can end in a tie. A game called by the umpire because of rain, darkness, etc. is a regulation game if four (4) complete innings have been played or three and one-half (3-1/2) innings if the home team is ahead. If fewer than four (4) complete innings have been played, the game will be rescheduled and started from the beginning.
6. The mercy rule shall be enforced after three and one-half (3 -1/2) innings if the home team is ahead or after four (4) innings if the visiting team is ahead by fifteen (15) runs or more.
7. Each team member present at a league game must play at least three (3) innings in the field. Each player must play at least one (1) inning in the infield each game. There will be four (4) outfielders for a total of ten (10) players in the field.
8. Free substitution is allowed with the following exception: The pitcher cannot be removed and returned as a pitcher. Deviation from this shall result in a forfeit.
9. The Infield Fly Rule does not apply.
10. Only one base is allowed on a walk (base on balls) -- the base runner may not continue to second base. Intentional walks are not permitted.
11. A player may pitch a maximum of six (6) innings in a calendar week (Monday through Sunday). Delivery of a single pitch constitutes an inning.
Required rest days will be enforced as follows:
12. All players present at game time will bat. A player who shows up after the game has started and before the end of the third inning will be placed at the end of the batting order. A player who shows up after the third inning of play will be used or not used at the discretion of the manager.
13. If a player leaves a game for any reason (except injury), his spot is vacated in the batting lineup and is an automatic out for subsequent at bats.
14. There is modified stealing. There are no lead offs, and the runner cannot leave their base until the ball crosses the plate. Runners are only allowed to steal 2nd and 3rd base. Runners cannot steal home, even if there is a passed ball or wild pitch. However a runner may advance home on a steal attempt of 3rd base if the catcher throws the ball into the outfield, or throws it out of play.
15. If there are two outs and the catcher for the team at bat is on base, a pinch runner is recommended. This is for the purpose of saving time. The pinch runner will be the player who made the last out.
16. Base runners must slide or avoid contact with defensive players on close plays. Failure to follow this rule the first time in a game will result in the baserunner being called out and a warning being issued to the base runner by the umpire. Failure to follow this rule a second time in a game by the same base runner will result in the base runner being called out and ejected from the game (see Rule 2).
17. After each game, the coach of the winning team must report the final score and the number of innings pitched by each pitcher (both teams) within 24 hours.
18. Players must wear assigned uniforms in order to play. The uniform shall consist of hats, shirts and pants issued by Dearborn Baseball. The Manager will decide if the uniform meets standards. Uniforms may not be altered in any way.
19. Catchers must wear all gear provided by Dearborn Baseball (catcher's helmet, chest protector, and shin guards). The catcher's mitt, although provided, is not required. However, if the player is able to use it, have them do so. There are two exceptions: 1) The catcher is left-handed (left-handed catcher’s mitts are not provided by the league). 2) Your player is not strong enough to squeeze the catcher’s mitt when catching the ball. The catcher's mask must always include a throat guard.
20. Bats with barrels up to and including 2-5/8" are allowed in the Mustang Division. All bats must be USABat certified with the USABat licensing stamp on the bat in order to be used for league play. Bats with excessive dings or any modifications, whatsoever, are not allowed.
21. All players are to provide their own helmet. Helmets must be worn while batting, on deck, and on base. All boys are required to wear a protective cup. If a personal bat and/or helmet is broken by any player, the league will not be responsible for replacement of the item.
22. Protected players require parental agreement, and all protected players are subject to league approval.
Required rest days will be enforced as listed below:
- The Infield Fly Rule does not apply.
- Bats with barrels up to and including 2-5/8" are allowed in the Mustang Division. All bats must be USABat certified with the USABat licensing stamp on the bat in order to be used for league play.
- Bats with excessive dings or any modifications, whatsoever, are not allowed.
- Protected players require parental agreement, and all protected players are subject to league approval.
- Any player or coach ejected from a game is also ineligible for the following game.